Some ASUS users have reported a PCI device not recognizing issue recently. In Device Manager, under Other devices, they see a device named PCI Device with a yellow exclamation mark on it (shown as the above screenshot). If you’re experiencing the same issue, you may want to know what a PCI device is and how to update the driver for this device. Read on to find the answer.
What is a PCI Device?
PCI stands for Peripheral Component Interconnect. A PCI device is any piece of computer hardware that plugs directly into a PCI slot on the motherboard.
Examples of PCI devices:
- Base System Device
- PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller
- PCI Simple Communications Controller
- PCI standard ISA bridge
- PCI-to-PCI Bridge
- SM Bus Controller
When you see a yellow mark on the PCI Device in Device Manager, it means the driver for one of the PCI devices is not installed correctly. To remove the yellow mark, you need to update the driver. You can’t update the PCI Device alone. To update the PCI Device driver, you need to update the chipset driver. If you’re not sure how to do it, continue to the next section for the full guide.
How to download and update the PCI Device driver
As mentioned above, to update the PCI Device driver, just update the chipset driver. You can manually download and update the chipset driver from ASUS. Following steps are for your reference.
2) Click the Support menu then select Drivers & Manuals.
3) Enter your ASUS laptop/desktop model name in the “Search by model name” box, then select the model name from the dropping list.
4) Click on Driver & Tools on the right.
5) Select the OS (learn how to check what Windows version your computer is running). Then you’ll see a list of drivers for you to download.
6) Locate the latest Chipset driver, then click the DOWNLOAD button. After that, the driver will start to download.
7) Double-click on the downloaded executable file (.exe) and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Tip: If the error still occurs, you can try using Driver Easy to help update the chipset driver. Driver Easy can scan your system to detect any missing and outdated drivers, then allow you to update drivers with a few clicks. Download Driver Easy from the vendor’s website.
Hopefully you find the article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.