You connect your computer to an external display with an USB to HDMI. Suddenly, you find the adapter stopped working, and you can’t use the external display. How to fix this issue? Read on to find the solutions.
Try these methods
Method 1: Perform a hardware troubleshooting
The reason for the HDMI adapter not working issue can be damaged hardware. So first, you can try performing a hardware troubleshooting.
- On the computer side, plug the adapter to another USB port and see if it works. If it works on another USB port, the issue is caused by a damaged USB port.
- If possible, test your USB to HDMI adapter on different devices and see if it works. If it’s not working, you may need to change the adapter.
If you’re sure there is no problem with the hardware, continue and try Method 2.
Method 2: Update the USB drivers
If the USB drivers are faulty or outdated, the USB to HDMI adapter won’t work properly. To fix the problem, you can try to update the drivers on your computer.
You can go to your PC manufacturer’s website to download the latest USB drivers. The drivers can always be downloaded from the SUPPORT page.
After updating the driver, check to see if your USB to HDMI adapter not working issue is resolved.
Method 3: Roll back Windows Update
Some users have reported they run into the problem after installing Windows Update. If you are in the same scenario, you can try rolling back Windows Update and see if it helps.
You can follow these steps to roll back Windows Update.
1) On your keyboard, press Win+R (the Windows logo key and I key) at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Type “control panel” into the Run box and click OK to open the Control Panel window.
3) View by Large icons and click on Programs and Features.
4) Click on View installed updates in the left pane.
5) Select the latest update you installed and click Uninstall to uninstall the update.
6) Once uninstalling is done, restart your computer and check to see if the problem is resolved.
Hopefully you find this article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below.