You can’t uninstall Epic Games Launcher from your computer and you get this error message: Epic Games Launcher is currently running. Please close it before continuing. Read on to learn how to fix this annoying error.
The error can occur because the Epic Games Launcher is running in the background. Some applications can run in the background without notice. Epic Games Launcher is one of these programs. So, to uninstall it successfully, make sure the process is not running in the background. Besides, you also need to make sure it won’t run when your computer starts.
To fix the error, you can try these two methods:
Method 1: End EpicGamesLauncher processes from Task Manager
The possible reason causing this error is that EpicGamesLauncher processes are running in the background and you don’t notice it. So check in Task Manager, and end the related processes if necessary. To do so:
1) Right-click on the Start menu button and select Task Manager. Then the Task Manager window will open. Alternatively, to open Task Manager, you can press “Shift + Ctrl + Esc” on your keyboard.
2) At the Processes tab, scroll down to find EpicGamesLauncher (or something like that).
3) Right-click on the process and select End task.
4) Close Task Manager. Try to uninstall the application again.
If Method 1 doesn’t work for you, you can try Method 2 and see if it works for you.
Method 2: Stop EpicGamesLuancher running at startup
In the Settings of EpicGamesLauncher, the application could be set to run at startup. That can stop you from uninstalling the application and get the error message “Epic Games Launcher is currently running. Please close it before continuing”. So, to fix the error, you can check and disable that setting if necessary. Here’s how:
1) Open Epic Games Launcher.
2) Click on the profile picture and then select Settings.
3) Uncheck the box Run When My Computer Starts.
4) Close Epic Games Launcher.
5) Restart your computer and uninstall Epic Games Launcher again. You should be able to uninstall it successfully.
Hopefully you can uninstall Epic Games Launcher with one of the above methods. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below.