After you launch Genshin Impact, you’re stuck on the loading screen, the “Checking for updates…” screen. This is frustrating, but not to worry. Many players have reported this issue since Genshin Impact has launched. Some players have resolved the issue with one of the methods below. If you’re on a PC version, to fix the problem, you can try these methods as well.
There are six methods below to fix the problem. You can try them one by one until you fix the problem.
Method 1: Delete the Persistent file
Deleting the Persistent file in the Genshin Impact directory can increase the load speed of the game. Open the game directory, then navigate to the following path where you can find the Persistent file:
C:\Program Files\Genshin Impact\Genshin impact Game\GenshinImpact_Data
Note: the C:\ drive is the default drive where Genshin Impact is installed. If you installed the game on another drive, just navigate to that drive.
After you delete the Persistent file, relaunch the game to check to see if the problem persists.
Method 2: Reinstall DirectX
The Corrupted, outdated or missing DirectX can be the cause of the problem. You can try reinstalling DirectX on your computer to fix the problem.
Follow these steps:
1) Open File Explorer.
2) Go to C:\Program Files\Genshin Impact.
3) Check if there’s a folder called “DXSETUP”. If yes, open the folder and double-click on the “DXSETUP.exe” executable and follow the on-screen instructions to install the DirectX.
If not, you can go to Microsoft and download the DirectX manually, then double-click on the downloaded file to install it on your computer.
4) After reinstalling DirectX, restart your computer and check to see if the Genshin Impact stuck issue persists.
Method 3: Try a VPN
Genshin Impact stuck on loading screen can occur on the server end. To fix the problem, you can try using a VPN. With a VPN, you can choose to connect to a server in another region, then the problem may resolve.
If you have no idea which VPN is good to use, NordVPN can be your go-to option, which provides you with 30-day money back guarantee.
Method 4: Update your device drivers
If you want to play the game smoothly, ensure your computer drivers are up-to-date.
Manually updating drivers takes time and requires a bit of technical knowledge. If you don’t have the time or skills to update your drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Booster, which allows you to update drivers with just a few clicks.
Download Driver Booster now and install it on your computer, then use it to update all your device drivers easily.
Method 5: Reinstall Genshin Impact
When Genshin Impact is stuck on the Checking for updates screen for a long time, it’s possible the game installation files are corrupted. To fix the problem, you can try to reinstall the game.
Firstly, you need to uninstall the game. Follow these steps:
1) On your keyboard, press Win+R (the Window logo key and the R key) at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Right-click on the Start menu button and select Apps and Features.
3) Scroll down and locate Genshin Impact. Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
If Genshin Impact is not listed, you can uninstall the game by deleting the folder where the game was installed.
4) After the uninstallation process is complete, restart your computer.
5) Install the game again.
Method 6: Edit the registry
The last resort to the problem is to modify the registry. You can delete all Genshin Impact entries from Registry Editor and see if the problem is resolved.
IMPORTANT: Modifying the registry incorrectly may cause serious system issues. If you’re not comfortable with this method, skip it. If you know what you’re doing, it’s recommended you back up the registry first, so you can restore it if necessary.
Follow these steps to edit the registry:
1) On your keyboard, press Win+R (the Windows logo key and the R key) at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Type “regedit” into the Run box and click OK to open the Registry Editor.
3) Naviagte to the below entry and delete all values under this entry:
4) Restart Genshin Impact and check to see if you’re still experiencing the stuck issue.
Above are the methods you can use to fix the Genshin Impact stuck on “Checking for updates…” issue. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to drop a comment. I’ll get back to you ASAP.