In this post, you’ll learn how to download and install the Baofeng Prolific driver on Windows 10. It’s easy and quick!
Generally, when you connect your Baofeng Prolific radio to your computer, Windows will automatically install a driver for its USB programming cable. However, Windows isn’t perfect and sometimes can’t automatically install the driver. In that case, you’ll need to download and install the driver on your own.
You can download and install the Baofeng Prolific driver from Microsoft Catalog, but the driver provided by Microsoft is usually stripped-down and a bit older. It’s recommended you download and install the driver from the chipset manufacturer Prolific.
How to download and install Baofeng Prolific driver from Prolific website
Prolific keeps releasing and updating drivers on their website. You can download and install the latest version of Prolific chipset drivers from their website. Here’s how:
1) Go to the driver download page of Prolific website.
2) Click the driver download link at the top. Then the driver file will be downloaded to your computer.
3) Unzip the downloaded file.
4) Double-click on the executable file (.exe) and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Download and install Baofeng Prolific driver with Driver Easy
If you don’t have the time and patience to download and install the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy, a third-party driver update software that allows you to download and install drivers quickly and easily.
Driver Easy can scan your computer to detect any problem drivers for your devices, including the external devices and unplugged devices. If you plugged your Baofeng radio to your computer before, Driver Easy can detect if the Prolific USB programming cable driver is outdated or missing, and then provide you with a new driver. To download and install the driver, all you need is a few clicks.
Here’s how to use Driver Easy to download and install the Baofeng Prolific driver on Windows 10:
1) Download and install Driver Easy on your computer.
2) Launch the application and click Scan Now. Then Driver Easy will scan your computer for the problem drivers. The process can take a few seconds. After that, you’ll see a list of drivers that can be updated.
3) Click the Update button next to the Prolific USB to Serial driver. Then the driver will be downloaded automatically. After the download is finished, you can install the driver easily by following the step-by-step guide from Driver Easy.
Note Driver Easy Free is partly free. If you want the driver to install automatically, you’ll need to upgrade to the Pro version.
What if you can’t install the Baofeng Prolific driver?
If you can’t install the driver, it’s possible that your Prolific USB programming cable is counterfeit. You can download the CheckChipVersion tool from the Prolific website and launch the tool to determine if your Prolific USB programming cable is counterfeit.
The current Prolific driver won’t identify counterfeit chipset. In that case, you’ll need to install the version 188.8.131.52 and older of the Prolific driver. The older drivers don’t check for authenticity and may allow you to install the driver successfully.
Go to Miklor.com, you can download the version 184.108.40.206 and learn how to install the driver step by step. Miklor.com is a great website that provides tons of information about Baofeng radios and USB programming cables.
Hopefully you find this article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.