In Device Manager, the entry USB Serial Port with a yellow mark means the driver for the USB-to-Serial device is not installed correctly. To fix the issue, you need to install the driver on your own. Read on to learn how to download and install the driver.
Two available ways for you to download and install the USB Serial Port driver:
Way 1: Download and install the USB Serial Port driver manually
USB Serial Port means a USB-to-Serial device. You can download the driver from the USB-to-Serial device manufacturer’s website and install it on your computer.
The USB-to-Serial device can be FTDI USB-to-Serial converter, Prolific USB-to-Serial converter, etc. If you know what that device is, just go to the device manufacturer’s website to download the driver. For example, if you’re using FTDI USB-to-Serial converter and encounter this issue, you can go to FTDI’s official website to download the driver.
If you have no idea what USB Serial Port represents, you can identify the device by using the hardware ID. Here’s how:
1) Open Device Manager.
2) Right-click on USB Serial Port and select Properties.
3) At the Details tab, select Hardware Ids from the Property drop-down.
4) Right-click on the first string and select Copy.
5) Open your favorite search engine, perform a web search for the hardware ID you copied in Step 4). Then you should be able to identify the device. Once you identify the device, you can go to the device manufacturer’s website to download the driver.
The downloaded driver file is either a .zip file or an .exe file. If it’s a .zip file, unzip it first then double-click on the .exe file to install the driver. If it’s an .exe file, just double-click on the file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
If the manual way doesn’t work for you, you can download and install the driver automatically with Driver Easy. See Way 2.
Way 2: Download and install the USB Serial Port driver with Driver Easy
Another way to download and install the USB Serial Port driver is using Driver Easy, a third-party driver update software that allows you to download and install drivers quickly and easily.
Driver Easy can scan your computer to detect any problem drivers for your devices, including the external devices and unplugged devices, and then provide you with a new driver. To download and install the driver, all you need is a few clicks.
Here’s how to use Driver Easy to download and install the USB Serial Port driver:
1) Download and install Driver Easy on your computer.
2) Launch the application and click Scan Now. Then Driver Easy will scan your computer for the problem drivers. The process can take a few seconds. After that, you’ll see a list of drivers that can be updated.
3) Click the Update button next to the USB Serial Port driver. Then the driver will be downloaded automatically. After the download is finished, you can install the driver easily by following the step-by-step guide from Driver Easy.
Note Driver Easy Free is partly free. If you want the driver to install automatically, you’ll need to upgrade to the Pro version.
Hopefully you find this article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.