After connecting your new monitor to your computer, you can’t hear sound from the monitor. Don’t worry. You can fix the problem with one of the methods below.
Try these methods
Method 1: Check if your new monitor has built-in speakers
When you can’t hear sound from a new monitor directly, it’s possible that the monitor hasn’t come with built-in speakers. If you haven’t checked it yet, check it before you try other methods. If you ensure your monitor has built-in speakers, skip this and continue to the next method.
You can check the monitor’s specs on the monitor’s user manual or the monitor manufacturer’s website. On the monitor manufacturer’s website, search with the monitor model then you can check the monitor’s specs easily.
Method 2: Make sure the monitor is not disabled
Your new monitor can be disabled. In that case, the monitor can’t play audio. So check to make sure the monitor is not disabled. Here’s how:
1) On your keyboard, press Win+I to open the Settings window.
2) Select System.
3) Select Sound then select your new monitor under Choose your output device, and then click on Device Properties.
4) Make sure the Disable check box is cleared.
If Method 2 doesn’t help fix the problem, continue to try Method 3.
Method 3: Check your default audio output device
Check your default audio output device and ensure your monitor is set as the default audio output device. Here’s how:
1) On your keyboard, press Win+R (the Windows logo key and the R key) to open the Run Command dialog box.
2) Type “control mmsys.cpl sounds” and press Enter. Then the Sound window will open.
3) At the Playback tab, check if your new monitor is set as the default device. If not, you can set it as the default device manually:
Select the monitor, click the Set Default button then click Apply -> OK to save the changes.
If Method 4 doesn’t work for you, continue to try Method 5.
Method 5: Make sure the monitor is not muted
Check to make sure the monitor is not muted. Here’s how:
1) Right-click the speaker icon on the taskbar and select Open Volume mixer.
2) In the Device section, make sure your new monitor is not muted. If it’s muted, you’ll see a red circle with a line through it next to the volume control. In that case, select the volume control to unmute.
Hopefully you can fix the new monitor with no sound issue with the above steps. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.