You can’t install the NVIDIA display driver and get an error message saying “This DCH driver package is not compatible with the currently installed version of Windows. The system is configured to require a Standard driver package…”. That can be frustrating. How can you fix this error? Read on to find the methods.
Try these methods
Method 1: Update Windows 10
NVIDIA DCH display drivers are supported on Windows 10 64bit April 2018 Update （Version 1803 OS Build 17134) and later versions. So check if your Windows 10 meets the requirement and update it to the latest version if you need.
You can go to this link to check what Windows 10 version you have. If your Windows 10 version doesn’t support NVIDIA DCH display drivers, you can update Windows 10 to the latest version. Here’s how to to it:
1) On your keyboard, press Win+I (the Windows logo key and the I key) at the same time to open the Windows Settings window.
2) Click on Update & Security.
3) Click on Windows Update and then click on Check for updates. During the update process, you might be asked to restart your computer. Then just restart your computer.
4) Once the update is done, restart your computer and check to see if the error still occurs.
If you can’t update Windows 10 by using the Windows built-in “Check for updates” feature, you can go to the Microsoft page and click on Update now to update to the latest version of Windows 10.
If Method 1 doesn’t work for you, continue to try Method 2.
Method 2: Download the correct type of NVIDIA driver
As the error message says, you’re required to install the NVIDIA Standard display driver but not the DCH display driver. You can download the Standard display driver from the official website of NVIDIA.
Follow these steps:
2) Select from the drop-down menus according to what Windows 10 you have and what graphics card you have. To download the Standard display driver, select Standard from Windows Driver Type.
3) Click the SEARCH button, and click on Geforce Game Ready Driver or NVIDIA Studio Driver.
4) Click the DOWNLOAD button to download the driver to your computer.
5) Once download is done, double-click on the downloaded file (.exe) and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver on your computer.
If you want, you can check the driver type of your current driver via NVIDIA Control Panel. Open NVIDIA Control Panel, click on System Information at the bottom left corner, then you can check the Driver Type in the Details section. In the example of the following screenshot, the Driver Type is DCH.
Method 3: Update the driver using Driver Easy
Installing incorrect drivers can cause errors like the “This DCH driver package is not compatible with the currently installed version of Windows…” error. To ensure installing correct drivers, you can use Driver Easy to update drivers automatically.
Driver Easy is a trustworthy third-party driver updater with more than 3 million customers around the world. It can scan your computer to detect any problem drivers. With Driver Easy, to download the correct drivers, you don’t need to verify your computer model and your Windows version.
You can update drivers with a few clicks even if you don’t have too much computer skills.
1) Download and install Driver Easy Free on your computer.
2) Launch the application and click on Scan Now to detect any problem drivers on your computer, then you’ll see a list of drivers that can be updated.
3) Click the Update button next to the NVIDIA display driver, then the driver will be downloaded automatically. Once download is done, you can install the driver with the step-by-step guide from Driver Easy.
If you use the Pro version, you can click the Update All button to update all drivers automatically. Besides, you’ll get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee.
4) After updating the driver, check to see if you can install the NVIDIA driver without the error.
Method 4: Reset Windows 10
If none of the above methods works, the last resort to fix the error is to reset Windows 10.
Important: Once you decide to reset Windows 10, you can choose to keep your personal files or erase them. However, all apps, settings and other stuff will be wiped off.
You can follow these steps to do a reset on Windows 10:
1) Open the Windows Settings window again.
2) Select Update & Security.
3) In the left pane, select Recovery. In the right pane, under Reset this PC, click on Get started.
4) You can select either Keep my files or Remove everything.
If you select Keep my files, your apps and settings will be removed except to your personal files. If you select Remove everything, everything will be removed including your apps, settings, personal files and photos.
5) Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your Windows.
6) Once done, you’ll be prompted to restart Windows for the changes to take effect. After that, check to see if you can install the NVIDIA driver successfully.
Hopefully you find the article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.