Instagram has strict requirements of formats, sizes, and technical specifications for videos you can post on their platform. If you can’t upload videos to Instagram, one of the most common reasons is that your video format doesn’t meet their requirements. In that case, you may want to convert the video to the format they require.
In this article, you’ll learn how to convert videos to Instagram format easily.
Before moving on to how to part, you may want to know what technical specifications your videos should include. To upload videos to Instagram, your finished videos need to meet the following technical specifications:
- Supported Formats: MP4 (recommended), MOV
- Video Codec: H.264
- Minimum Frame Rate: 30 fps
- Audio Codec: AAC
- Sample Rate: 96000 Hz or 48000 Hz
- Maximum Dimensions: 1080px Wide
- Minimum Dimensions: 720px Wide
- Playback Length: 3 seconds to 10 minutes (60 minutes for selected accounts)
- File Size Limit: With aspect ratio between 1.91:1 and 9:16
As you can see, Instagram supports MP4 format and MOV format. The MP4 format is preferred. If you have a video in other formats and you want to upload it to Instagram, it’s recommended you convert it to MP4 format. To do that, you’ll need a third-party video converter.
Below, I’ll recommend two video converters which allow you to convert your video to Instagram format easily. You can select one of them to convert your video.
Convert your video to Instagram format with HD Video Converter Factory Pro
You can use Wonderfox’s HD Video Converter Factory Pro to convert your video to Instagram format easily and freely. The Free version of the program allows you to convert a video file limited to 5 minutes. If your video’s duration is less than 5 minutes, the free version is good to go. If not, you may want to upgrade to the Pro version.
Here’s how to use HD Video Converter Factory Pro to convert your video to Instagram format step by step:
1) Download and install HD Video Converter Factory Pro on your computer.
2) Launch the application and click the “+” button to add the video file.
3) Under Click to change output format, select the output format as MP4 or MOV. It’s recommended you select MP4 as the output format.
4) Click Parameter settings to change the settings so your video includes the technical specifications that Instagram requires.
Change the parameter settings as follows:
- Encoder: H264
- Resolution: 1920 * 1080p
- Frame Rate: 30 fps
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Encoder: AAC
- Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Once set, click Ok to save the changes.
Note: Ensure your video’s duration is between 3s to 10 minutes. If it’s longer than 10 minutes, your video will be cropped before it’s uploaded to Instagram. You can trim the video with HD Video Converter Factory Pro on your own. Just click the Trim button, move the slider to make the video as long as you want, then click Trim. Once done, click Ok to save the changes.
5) Click Run.
6) Click Try it.
Then the video will be converted to the output format you selected. The process can take dozens of seconds. Just wait until the process is finished.
After the video is converted, you can click the folder icon to get the output video. Then upload it to Instagram.
With HD Video Converter Factory Pro, you can convert the video to Instagram format freely, but you’ll need to set the conversion settings manually. This is not so friendly for those who are not familiar with video/audio codec things. If you don’t want to set the conversion settings on your own, Wondershare Uniconverter can be your go to option. See Option 2.
Option 2: Convert your video to Instagram format with Wondershare Uniconverter
Wondershare Uniconverter allows you to easily convert video to web formats like Instagram, Youtube and Facebook. To convert your video to Instagram format, you just need to select Instagram as an output format.
You don’t need to set the conversion settings on your own. All will be set automatically. It’s easy and quick. But the Free version only allows you to convert 30% of the video. If you want to convert the full video, you’ll need to upgrade to the Pro version.
Here’s how to use Wondershare Uniconverter to convert your video to Instagram format step by step:
1) Download and install Wondershare Uniconverter Free on your computer.
2) Launch the application and click on Converter on the left side, and then click the “+” button to add your video file.
3) Click the arrow down button next to Output Format.
4) At the Web Video tab, select Instagram then select the resolution you want. HD 1080P is recommended.
5) Click Convert, then the video will be converted 30%. Upgrade to the Pro version if you want the video to be converted 100%.
Note: Your video’s duration should not be longer than 10 minutes. If it’s longer than 10 minutes, you can use Wondershare Uniconverter to trim the video. Just click the Trim icon, and move the slider to make the video as long as you want, then click OK to save the changes.
You can use one of the above two tools to convert your video to Instagram format. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.