If your MSI laptop functions keys stop working randomly or completely, not to worry. Many MSI laptop users have reported this issue. You can fix the problem with one of the methods below.
Four methods below are available for you to fix the problem. You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
Method 1: Unlock the function keys
Once function keys stop working on your MSI laptop, it’s possible the keys are locked by accident. In this case, you just need to unlock the function keys manually.
To unlock the functions keys, hold the Fn key then press the Esc key (Fn+Esc). After that, you can expect the function keys should work properly.
Method 2: Ensure you’ve installed System Control Manager (SCM)
MSI System Control Manager (SCM) is a built-in system control tool for you to manage device settings. It should be installed in order for the function keys to work properly.
If it’s not installed on your laptop, the function keys may not work properly. So check if it’s installed on your laptop.
If it’s not installed, you can go to MSI official site to download the utility. Just go to your product’s SUPPORT page on MSI and download SCM from the Utility tab.
If SCM is already installed on your computer, skip this method and try other methods.
Method 3: Reinstall your keyboard drivers
To fix the function keys not working issue, you can try to resintall your keyboard drivers.
Here’s how to do it:
1) On your keyboard, press Win+R (the Windows logo key and the R key) at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Type “devmgmt.msc” into the run box and click OK to open the Device Manager window.
3) Expand the category Keyboards, and right-click on the HID Keyboard Device entry and select Uninstall device.
4) On the Confirm Device Removal dialogue, you’ll see a warning message that says “You are about to uninstall this device from your system”. Just click Uninstall to confirm the uninstall.
5) Restart your computer to allow Windows to reinstall the
6) Check to see if the function keys work properly.
Method 4: Update your computer drivers
The problem can be caused by faulty or outdated computer drivers like chipset drivers and firmware drivers. So you can try to update the computer drivers to fix the problem.
You can update the drivers automatically and easily with Driver Easy. Just a few clicks are required.
1) Download and install Driver Easy Free on your computer.
2) Launch it and click Scan Now to scan your computer to detect any problem drivers, then you’ll get a list of drivers that can be updated.
3) Click the Update button next to a driver to update that driver, then the driver will be downloaded automatically. Once download is done, you can install the driver with the step-by-step guide from Driver Easy. Then continue to update another driver until you update all drivers you need.
If you use the Pro version, you can click the Update All button to update all drivers automatically. Besides, you’ll get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee.
4) After updating the drivers, restart your computer and check to see if the function key not working issue is resolved.
Hopefully you find this article helpful. Feel free to drop a comment below if you have any questions.