Everytime when you launch the game Call of Duty, you get the error message saying “ DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error”. How to fix this issue? Just use one of the methods below.
I’ve included four methods below to fix the problem. You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
Method 1: Check and upgrade the DirectX version
When the error “DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error” occurs, it’s probable that the DirectX version installed on your computer doesn’t meet the DirectX version required for the game.
So the first thing you should do is check the DirectX version on your computer, and what DirectX version the game requires.
For what DirectX version that Call of Duty requires, you can get the information from Call of Duty System Requirements.
Then follow these steps to check the DirectX version on your computer.
1) On your keyboard, press Win+R (the Windows logo key and the R key) at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Type ‘Dxdiag’ into the Run box and click OK to open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
3) On DirectX Diagnostic Tool, you can get the DirectX Version. In the example below, the DirectX Version is Direct 12.
After that, if the DirectX version on your computer doesn’t meet the game requirements, you’ll need to upgrade it to the latest version.
For Windows 10, 8 & 8.1, you can install the latest Windows Update to install the latest DirectX. Then you can refer to the steps below to install the Windows Update:
1) On your keyboard, press Win+I (the Windows logo key and the I key) to invoke the Settings window.
2) Select Update & Security.
3) Select Windows Update on the left side and click Check for updates. Then Windows will install the latest updates on your computer. If you’re prompted to restart your computer, just restart it.
4) After that, check to see if you can play the game.
Method 2: Close the conflict software
Some gamers have reported that the game conflicts with MSI Afterburner / Rivatuner Statistics Server. They resolved the problem by closing these two software.
If you’re also running MSI Afterburner or Rivatuner Statistics Server, close them and see if the error resolves.
Method 3: Reinstall the graphics card driver
The error can be caused by faulty graphics card driver. To fix the problem, you can try to reinstall the graphics card driver.
Follow these steps to reinstall the graphics card driver.
1) On your keyboard, press Win + R (the Windows logo key and the R key) to invoke the Run box.
2) Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ into the Run box and click OK to open the Device Manager.
3) Expand the category ‘Display adapters’. Right-click on the graphics card device, and select Uninstall device.
4) Select the Delete the driver software for this device checkbox and click Uninstall to uninstall the device.
5) Once uninstall finishes, restart your computer then Windows will reinstall the graphics card driver automatically.
6) Check to see if the problem resolves. If the problem persists, you can try to update the graphics card driver from manufacturer.
Method 4: Update the graphics card driver from manufacturer
The last method you can try is to update the graphics card driver. You can update the graphics card driver manually, or update the graphics card driver automatically.
To update the graphics card driver manually, you can go to the PC manufacturer’s website to download the latest version of graphics card driver. Before you get started, you’ll need to find out what Windows 10 version you have, and what graphics card you have.
Updating drivers manually takes time. If you don’t want to spend much time on this, you can use a third-party update utility to help you. Driver Booster is one of the best driver update utilities you can use.
Driver Booster allows you to update all drivers with just one click. You can update all drivers with just a few minutes even if you don’t have much driver knowledge.
After updating the graphics card driver, the “DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error” should resolve.
Hopefully you find the above methods helpful. If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below.