Your USB ports stop working, and you see that Generic USB device not showing on Device Manager. How to get it back? Follow the steps below.
There are two methods you can try to fix the Generic USB Hub driver missing issue.
Method 1: Reinstall the Generic USB Hub Driver
To fix the problem, you can try to reinstall the Generic USB Hub driver. Since the device is missing on Device Manager, you need to to make it show up on Device Manager first.
So first, use one of the solutions below to make the Generic USB Hub device show up on Device Manager again.
Solution 1: Show hidden devices
The Generic USB Hub device can be hidden by accident. You can follow the steps below to show all hidden devices.
1) On your keyboard, press Win+R (the Windows logo key and the R key) at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Type “devmgmt.msc” into the Run box and click OK to open the Device Manager.
3) Click View in the top menu bar and select Show hidden devices. Then the Generic USB Hub device might show up again.
Method 2: Scan for hardware changes
Follow these steps to scan for hardware changes.
1) Open the Device Manager again.
2) Click Action in the top menu bar and select scan for hardware changes.
Once you see the device show up on Device Manager, follow these steps to reinstall the driver.
1) Right-click on the device and select Uninstall device.
2) Follow the wizard to uninstall the device.
On the Uninstall Device window, if you see the “Delete the driver software for this device” checkbox, select it then continue to uninstall the device.
3) Once uninstall the device is done, restart your computer and check to see if the USB port issue is resolved.
Method 2: Update the Generic USB Hub Driver
When Generic USB hub is missing on your computer, it’s possible that the driver is not installed. In this case, you’ll see an unknown device with a yellow mark in Device Manager.
To fix the problem, try to update the driver. Two ways are available for you to update the driver.
Way 1: Update the driver manually
You can update the driver manually via Device Manager. Follow these steps:
1) Right-click on the device and select Update driver.
2) Click on Search automatically for drivers. Then Windows will detect and install the right driver for the device.
If you can’t update the driver manually, you can update it automatically with Driver Easy (see Way 2).
Way 2: Update the driver automatically
With Driver Easy, you can update the drivers with just a few clicks.
1) Download and install Driver Easy on your computer.
2) Launch it and click Scan Now to scan your computer to detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the Generic USB Hub driver, then the driver will be downloaded automatically. Once the driver is downloaded, you can install the driver manually with the step-by-step guide. If you want the driver to install automatically, you can go Driver Easy Pro.
After updating the driver, the problem should resolve.
Hopefully you find this article helpful. If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below.