When trying to open a program, you keep getting this error message:
The program can’t start because mfc140u.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem.
Don’t worry. To fix the mfc140u.dll missing error, you can also try these methods:
Method 1: Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package
The file mfc140u.dll is part of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. The mfc140u.dll missing error could indicate the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable package is either corrupt or missing. To fix the error, you can try reinstalling the package. To do so:
1) Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 (You can download it from Microsoft ).
2) Click the Download button.
3) Select the version to download corresponding with the Windows version you have (check what windows version you have).
If you’re running a 32-bit version of Windows, you just need to install the 32-bit version of the redistributable package, so just select vc_redist.x86.exe.
If you’re running a 64-bit version of Windows, you need to install both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version of the redistributable package, so select both vc_redist.x64.exe and vc_redist.x86.exe.
4) Click the Next button then the package will be downloaded to your computer.
5) Double-click on the downloaded file and follow the instructions on the screen to install the package.
6) Once done, restart your computer and check to see if the error still occurs.
If Method 2 doesn’t work for you, continue to try Method 3.
Method 2: Run the System File Checker tool
The mfc140u.dll missing error can occur due to corrupt or missing system files. You can try running the Windows built-in System File Checker tool to scan for the corrupt or missing system files, and restore the files that have become corrupt or gone missing. To do so:
1) On your keyboard, press Win+R (the Windows logo key and the R key) at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Type “cmd” into the Run box, and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter at the same time to open Command Prompt as administrator.
3) At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press the Enter key on your keyboard.
The sfc /scannow command will scan all your system files including the protected system files and replace corrupted files automatically. The process can take a while. Do not close the Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The result will be shown after the process is finished.
Method 3: Reinstall the program
Reinstalling the program may help re-register the .dll and fix the error. Follow below steps to reinstall the program and see if it works.
Firstly, uninstall the program.
1) Right-click on the Start menu button at the lower left corner of the desktop and select Apps and Features.
2) Type the program name into the search box. Then you’ll see the program show up under the search box.
3) Click on the name of the program and click Uninstall. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the program.
Secondly, download and install the program again. Then check to see if the error still occurs.
Method 4: Run a virus/malware scan of your entire system
Your system can be infected by virus/malware and encounters the mfc140u.dll file missing error. You can try running a virus/malware scan of your entire system with your antivirus/antimalware software and see if the error can be resolved.
Hopefully you find the article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.