While playing New World, after you go to the Windowed mode, you can’t go back to Fullscreen mode. Don’t worry. This is a bug of New World which has occurred to many users. You can easily fix it with the following methods which have been approved to help fix the error.
Try the methods below one by one until you find the one that works for you.
Method 1: Try Alt + Enter
New World can be stuck in Windowed mode if you accidentally press Alt + Enter (the Alt key and the Enter key) at the same time. In that case, pressing Alt + Enter may help you switch back to the Fullscreen mode.
If you have tried Alt+Enter and it doesn’t work, you can try Method 2.
Method 2: Change the resolution and back
One of the helpful workarounds to the error is to change the resolution to lower via game settings, and then change it back to the original one. Here’s how to do it:
1) Open Settings.
2) Click on Visuals in the left pane.
3) Set Window Mode to Windowed (if you can’t change it, skip this step).
4) Set the Resolution to one that’s lower than your current resolution. For example, if your current resolution is 1600×1024, you can set it to 1600×900.
5) Set Window Mode to Fullscreen. Then you should see the frame on the game disappear.
6) Change the resolution back to the original one you used.
With the above steps, New World should be able to go Fullscreen. But if it doesn’t work for you, you can continue to try Method 3.
Method 3: Relaunch the game and change the resolution
To fix the error, you can try relaunching the game and then changing the resolution. To do so:
Exit New World and relaunch it. Open Settings, then go to Visuals, and then change the Resolution to whatever you want. Once changed, restart your computer and relaunch New World, then check to see if the game is still stuck in Windowed mode.
If the error is not fixed, try Method 4.
Method 4: Verify integrity of game files
The New World stuck in Windowed mode error can be caused by corrupted or missing game files. To fix the error, you can try using Steam to verify the integrity of the game files. The verifying process can detect and fix any corrupted or missing game files.
You can follow these steps to verify integrity of game files:
1) Launch Steam.
2) Right-click on New World in your library and then select Properties.
3) Click the Local Files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files… button. Then Steam will start verifying the game files. This process may take several minutes. Please wait until the process is complete.
4) Once done, restart your computer.
5) Launch New World and check to see if you can switch to Fullscreen mode.
Method 5: Reinstall graphics card drivers
The New World won’t go Fullscreen error may be caused by faulty graphics card drivers. You can try reinstalling the graphics card driver and see if it helps. Follow these steps:
1) Open Device Manager.
2) Double-click on the category “Display adapters” to expand it. Right-click on your graphics card device and select Uninstall device.
3) Tick the checkbox next to Delete the driver software for this device and click Uninstall. Then Windows will start uninstalling the device.
4) Once done, restart your computer then Windows will install a new graphics card driver.
Bonus Tip: If Windows fails to install a new graphics card driver, you can update the driver with Driver Easy, which only requires you a few clicks. Besides, to ensure games play smoothly, it’s recommended you keep the graphics card driver up to date.
Click this link to download and install Driver Easy Free on your computer, then launch it to update the graphics card driver easily.
5) Launch New World and check to see if you can play it in Fullscreen.
Hopefully you can fix the New World stuck in Windowed Mode error with the above steps. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.