Every time when you boot your computer, the winscomrssrv.dll error pops up with the full error message as follows:
“There was a problem starting winscomrssrv.dll. The specified module could not be found.”
Though you still can use the computer, that can be annoying. To fix the solutions to this error, you’ve come to the right place. You can fix the error with the methods in this post.
Before moving on to the solutions, you may want to know why winscomrssrv.dll error occurs? In most cases, the winscomrssrv.dll file is the leftover from the malware that has been removed from your computer.
Your antimalware software removed the malware but not removed some files such as the winscomrssrv.dll file. When you boot your computer, the winscomrssrv.dll file tries to run but your system doesn’t recognize it. In that case, the winscomrssrv.dll error can occur.
You can use one of the two methods to fix the winscomrssrv.dll error:
Method 1: Run Windows Autoruns
Autoruns is a Windows tool which allows you to see everything running on startup. You can use it to delete the winscomrssrv.dll error entry so you won’t run into the error on startup. To do so:
1) Download Autoruns from Windows.
2) Right-click on the downloaded file (.zip) and select Extract All or other options you can choose to extract the file.
3) Open the extracted folder.
4) Depending upon your system (What Windows version you have?), right-click on Autoruns.exe or Autoruns64.exe (for example, if you’re using Windows 64-bit system, right-click on Autoruns64.exe) and select Run as administrator. After that, Autoruns will open.
4) At the Autoruns window, you should see some entries highlighted in yellow, which indicate startup errors. The winscomrssrv.dll startup error entry would be highlighted as well. You can scroll down to look for the entry.
To locate the entry quickly, you can search for the file name keywords “winscomrssrv”.
5) Once you locate the winscomrssrv.dll startup error entry, right-click on it and select Delete. If you see multiple entries associated with the error, delete them all.
6) Restart your computer and check to see if the winscomrssrv.dll error still occurs.
Method 2: Use Registry Editor
Another method to remove the winscomrssrv.dll startup error entry is through Registry Editor.
Important: Modifying registry incorrectly can cause serious system issues. Before following the steps, it’s recommended you back up your registry first so you can restore it if you need.
If you know what you’re doing, follow the steps below to remove the winscomrssrv.dll startup error entry:
1) On your keyboard, press Win+R to invoke the Run box.
2) Type “regedit” into the Run box and click OK.
3) Navigate to this key:
Copy and paste the key path to the search box and press Enter, then you can open the key immediately.
4) In the right side panel, find the entry associated with the winscomrssrv.dll error. You can tell from the Name column or the Data column.
5) Right-click on that entry then select Delete. If you see multiple entries associated with the error, delete them all.
6) Once done, restart your computer then the error should be fixed.
Hopefully you find the article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.