After you plug your XBOX wireless adapter into your computer, you find that Windows doesn’t recognize the adapter and your XBOX ONE controller doesn’t work. In Device Manager, you see it listed as XBOX ACC under the Other Devices. What’s causing this issue and how to fix the issue? Read on then you’ll find the answers.
The XBOX wireless adapter is a plug and play device. Generally, Windows will automatically install a driver for plug and play devices. Apparently in the “XBOX ACC driver is unavailable” case, Windows fails to install the driver for the XBOX wireless adapter. It means you need to update the driver by yourself. But don’t worry. It’s easy and quick to update the driver. Just follow the steps below.
There are 3 methods available for you to download and install the correct driver for your XBOX wireless adapter:
Method 1: Update the driver through Windows Update
The “Check for Windows Update” feature in Windows not only allows you to install Windows Update package but also allows you to install the driver update package. You can follow the below steps to update the XBOX wireless adapter driver through Windows Update.
Firstly, uninstall the XBOX ACC driver.
1) Open Device Manager.
2) Right-click on XBOX ACC and select Uninstall device.
3) Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the uninstall.
4) Once done, unplug the wireless adapter from your computer.
5) Restart your computer.
6) Plug your wireless adapter into the computer again and check to see if the driver can be installed automatically. If not, you’ll need to check for and update the driver manually.
Follow these steps to check for and update the driver manually:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key to bring up the Start menu. Type “check for updates” and select Check for updates from the menu. Then the Windows Update window will pop up.
2) At the Windows Update window, click on the Check for updates button to allow Windows to check for the updates. The “Checking for updates” process may take a few minutes. Wait for a while until the process is complete.
3) Once done, click on View optional updates.
4) Go to Driver updates and select the driver for your XBOX wireless adapter, which should start with XBOX.
5) Click on the Download and install button. Then the driver will be downloaded and installed automatically.
6) After the driver is installed, the “XBOX ACC driver is unavailable” error should be resolved. In Device Manager, you’ll see “XBOX Wireless Adapter for Windows” listed under Network adapters.
If Method 1 doesn’t work for you, continue to try Method 2.
Method 2: Download the driver from Microsoft Update Catalog site
You can download and install the driver from Microsoft Update Catalog site. To do so:
Firstly, download the driver file.
2) Type “xbox wireless adapter” into the search box and click on Search.
3) Start from the top driver (for example, Microsoft driver update for Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows) and select the driver corresponding to the Windows version you have. You can tell from the Products column what Windows version the driver is for.
TIP: If the driver you download doesn’t work, you can try multiple ones.
4) Click the Download button to download the .cab file to your computer.
5) Extract the downloaded file with compression software (7zip, WinRAR, ect.) to a folder you can remember.
Secondly, update the driver through Device Manager.
1) Open Device Manager.
2) Right-click on XBOX ACC and select Update driver.
3) Select Browse my computer for drivers.
4) Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
5) Click Have Disk…
6) Click Browse… and then navigate to the XBOX wireless adapter driver folder.
7) Once the .inf file is selected, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the install.
Hopefully you find the article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.