Whenever you open the NVIDIA Control Panel, you get an error message saying “Application is not compatible with installed NVIDIA Driver”. That can be frustrating. But not to worry. You can fix the error by following the below steps.
What’s causing this error?
Before you move on to the solutions, you may want to know what’s causing this error. The error occurs probably because you have the NVIDIA Standard Display Driver but not the NVIDIA DCH Display Driver installed on your computer.
The NVIDIA Control Panel is available from the Microsoft Store now. It’s only supported on a PC with NVIDIA DCH drivers. If you have installed the NVIDIA Control Panel on a PC with NVIDIA Standard Display Drivers, when you try to open it, you’ll receive the error message “Application is not compatible with installed NVIDIA Driver”.
How to Fix this error
You can try the following three methods to fix the error.
Method 1: Uninstall and reinstall the NVIDIA driver
To fix the “Application is not compatible with installed NVIDIA Driver” error, you can try uninstalling the current NVIDIA standard display driver and allow Windows to reinstall tdriver automatically. Usually, Windows will reinstall the DCH Display Driver which will work with the NVIDIA Control Panel.
To do so:
1) Open Device Manager.
2) Double-click on the category “Display adapters” to expand it. Right-click on the NVIDIA display card device and select Uninstall device.
3) Tick the checkbox next to Delete the driver software for this device and click Uninstall. Then the uninstall process will start. The process may take a few seconds. Just wait until the process is complete.
4) At the Device Manager window, click the Scan for hardware changes icon at the top. After a while, the NVIDIA Display Driver will be installed automatically. Don’t worry if you see the screen turn black during the process. It’s part of the process. You just need to wait until the driver is installed successfully.
5) After you see the driver reinstalled, open the NVIDIA Control Panel and check to see if the error still persists.
If Method 1 doesn’t work for you, you can continue to try Method 2.
Method 2: Use Driver Easy to fix the driver issue
Windows might fail to provide you with the appropriate NVIDIA Display Driver. In that case, you can try using Driver Easy to download and install the correct driver to fix the “Application is not compatible with installed NVIDIA Driver” error.
Driver Easy is a driver software with more than 3 million users around the world. It can scan your computer to detect any problem drivers on your computer. With Driver Easy, to download correct drivers, you don’t need to verify your computer model and the Windows version you have. You can update all drivers with just a few clicks.
Here’s how to use Driver Easy to download and update the NVIDIA Display Driver.
1) Download and install Driver Easy Free on your computer.
2) Launch the application and click on Scan Now to detect any problem drivers on your computer, then you’ll see a list of drivers that can be updated.
3) Click the Update button next to the NVIDIA Display Driver, then the driver will be downloaded automatically. Once download is done, you can install the driver with the step-by-step guide from Driver Easy.
If you use the Pro version, you can click the Update All button to update all drivers automatically. Besides, you’ll get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee.
4) After updating the driver, check to see if you can open the NVIDIA Control Panel successfully.
Method 3: Update your Windows
If you haven’t installed the latest version of Windows, you can try updating your Windows and see if it works for the problem. Follow these steps:
1) On your keyboard, press Win+I (the Windows logo key and the I key) at the same time to open the Windows Settings window.
2) Click on Update & Security.
3) Click on Windows Update on the left side and then click on Check for updates on the right side. Then Windows will check for and install the updates. If you’re asked to restart your computer, just restart it for the changes to take effect.
4) Once the update is done, check to see if the NVIDIA Control Panel error is resolved.
Hopefully you find the article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below. I’ll get back to you ASAP.